What’s better than having seven world class ski resorts within 45 minutes of your cozy stay in a brand new or like new hotel with the latest amenities and convenience of dozens of restaurants and shops within walking distance? Having that stay at a great price!
Ski towns are notorious for some higher than normal rates during ski season, and usually understandably so based on the demand. But getting all that at an incredibly affordable rate makes the swish on the slopes all the sweeter.
The Fort Union Ski Corridor – leading directly into the Cottonwood Canyons – has one new hotel for the 13-14 ski season and also has few more that have undergone some major plastic surgery.
A complete make-over, answering the call for the coziness of a mountain lodge right in the city. Nine months of renovations has transformed the Magnuson Hotel into a stunning Best Western Plus that opened in April.
Coziness Countdown begins with location and ski slope access:
10- Located just off of Interstate-15; 15 minutes from Salt Lake International Airport
9- Walking distance to the Trax light rail system with quick access to downtown SLC
8- Ski bus stop in front of the hotel for four Cottonwood Canyon resorts just 20 minutes away
7- Located on 7200 South, the road shared by Brighton and Solitude and leading up to Alta and Snowbird
6- Lodge-like feel with a cozy fireplace and stone-stacked walls in the foyer
5- Front desk concierge service with recommendations to shopping, activities, and a number of cafés and fine dining within minutes
4- Microwave, fridge, 42” flat screen TVs, European showers and robes in each room to pamper you
3- Cookies waiting for you at check in
2- Double pillow top bed for all the rest you need to hit the slopes each day
1- A hot breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage, and biscuits and gravy to start your ski day
– Hawthorn Suites –
Locating the perfect ski hotel tailored to the needs of a family or group can be complex. And, after selecting the perfect location, lodging, and amenities, there are other levels of planning that come into play. Hawthorn Suites, near the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon (home to Brighton and Solitude resorts), reminds us to get ready for our vacations with a bit of preparation.
Be prepared for a visit to a higher altitude, the effects may be subtle but you will feel them
- Drink plenty of water – much more than you normally drink
- Get lots of sleep – again, more than usual
- Wear sunscreen! Even a cloudy day can have you looking like a raccoon when the goggles come off
Travel lightly to avoid baggage fees at the airport, and to make it easier on the back
- Bring clothing you can layer, the temperature can vary greatly during the day and you will get warm skiing
- Don’t pack more than you need – use the hotel’s laundry facilities to save room
- Use space saver bags to free up space in your suitcase for your ski or snowboard boots
- Reserve your rental gear at your destination to ensure the right gear for the right conditions of that area – and get a discount for bringing your own boots
Click the photo for more info on Hawthorn Suites